Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Finally.. The 3 R's

Reducing Trash!!


Hello everyone this is the almost to last blog that I’ll be doing for this class.


For this assignment, I had to analyze my personal trash output for two days. After that I looked for ways that I could reduce the amount of trash I produce and measured it for another two days using the trash reducing techniques I came up with. Since I don’t produce too much trash I thought it was going to be difficult to reduce that amount.







Here is a list of the trash items I threw away over the course of two days
  • Paper towels
  • napkins
  • fruit/vegetable peels, stems, cores
  • food packaging
  • paper
  • toilet paper
  • water bottles*
  • store receipts

*recycled items


Some ways of reducing your trash is by using the “Three R’s”
  • Recycle
  • Reuse
  • Reduce


I could recycle the papers instead of putting them in the trash. Some of the food packaging could be recycled as well. I could reuse the water bottles a few times before putting them in the recycle bin. I use paper towels for when I clean the kitchen. I could use rag that I can just wash and reuse instead of paper towels. Receipts are another thing that I didn't really care where they went. Those will go in the recycle from now on.
The things that I cannot really do anything about are the napkins, toilet paper, and organic waste. I don’t use very many napkins so I’m okay with that staying the same. I can’t really eat the orange peels and stuff like that so I don’t feel bad about putting those kinds of things in the trash. Lastly, everyone needs toilet paper so I won’t be using less of that anytime soon.

Here is what my trash production looked like for the next two days.


  • napkins
  • fruit/vegetable peels, stems, cores
  • food packaging*
  • paper*
  • toilet paper*
  • water bottles*
  • store receipts*

    *recycled items


There are a lot more items that I recycled as a result of the waste-reduction strategies. I didn’t use paper towels so those were not part of my trash production.
After researching for ways to produce less waste, I have decided to try my best in reducing my waste and reusing and recycling more. The three R's.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. Just a note from class. Now we have 4 R's! Crazy right. Now its refuse, reduce, reuse, and recycle. Also recycling sucks. Most stuff we use cannot even be recycled. Kinda pissed me off because they always put "recyclable" but its not. lol also she had the same picture of the planet guy on her powerpoint slides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I found it interesting to note that many of the same items were used on both of your 2-day charting periods. Though, you were able to recycle much of the things used on your first day, leaving you with a relatively small amount of trash on your third and fourth day. I'm glad to see that even to begin with you had a low waste count! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what I am doing now is buying one case of water and a 5 gallon jug of water. once I am done with the bottle of water, I refill the bottle with water from the jug. it is saving me alot of water and costing a whole lot less. just an idea:)

    ReplyDelete