Tuesday, March 19, 2013

How Sustainable is Our Campus?


Hello fellow reader many of you don’t know me,my name is Lina Gil. I am taking environmental science, as a class we are going to be doing blogs as an assignment ,  and for this assignment we have to talk about how sustainable our campus is.
Is Riverside Community College (RCC) an eco friendly school?





I am going to say that it’s in the process of becoming more eco friendly. Some of the aspects of the campus that I looked for were cleanliness, waste management, bathrooms, and methods of transportation.  As I walked around campus since day one, I noticed our campus very clean. There is no trash on the ground, and there are many trash cans every few meters. Although there are many trash cans I saw very few recycling bins. This lack of recycle bins does not affect the clean grounds but does affect the campus’ ecological footprint. I saw that there were in fact recycling bins in the offices but not in the classrooms. I would find out how much recyclable material is used per month at RCC. This includes paper, cardboard boxes, bottles and cans, and other recyclable material. Next I would measure the amount of recyclable waste that is produced every month I will approach the custodian and ask how many times a day they clean the restrooms, change toilet paper, change trash can bags , and how much recyclable material they dispose of.
When I think of a eco friendly campus I think of Cal State San  Bernardino (CSUSB). As I walk around CSUSB, I’ve noticed that right next to almost every trash can there is a recycling bin. I believe that CSUSB is a great example of eco friendly campus we really need to find a  way to make our campus a better place.





This website shows ways that our district has enforced eco-friendliness on the campuses.

Riverside Community College, these are some ways to make our campus into a more eco friendly.

  • fake grass
  • more energy efficient lights
  • recycling of paper
  • automatic hand dryers (air)
  • electronic textbooks
  • recycling bins
  • waterfree urinals

2 comments:

  1. It is weird that there are no recycling trash cans on campus, I agree! Also I never stopped to think about how clean/trash free our campus is... good point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you listed ways for us to be more eco-sound. However I think fake grass is a bad idea. The oxygen that is given off by grass is all part of the process in helping the air quality.

    ReplyDelete